The Strengths Way

Monday 13 August 2007

3 tips for 'controlling the controllables'


People like to feel in control. Peak performers, for example, focus on what they can do, rather then continually talk about what they can’t do. They adopt this attitude whether they are overcoming an illness, tackling a problem or making a difference in the world. Let’s explore three steps you can take to shape your future.
* You can clarify what you can control.

Start by describing what you can control in your life and work. One person wrote: “I can control: my attitude; my professionalism - always doing my best at work; my diet - the food I put into my body; my exercise - this is difficult in the winter, but I will go running on the weekends; my money; the way I use my talents; my time management: my ‘ecological footprint’; my part in making clear contracts with people at work.” Try tackling the exercise on this theme called Controlling the controllables. Start by completing the following sentence.

The things I can control in my life and work are:

*


* You can clarify what you can’t control.

Describe what you can’t control. You can do your best to influence these matters but, ultimately, your can’t guarantee the outcome. One person wrote: “I can’t control: other people’s opinions of me; my employers; the job market; the government’s environmental policies; whether or not I get an illness - though I can do everything possible to stay healthy.” Try completing the following sentence.

The things I can’t control in my life and work are:

*


* You can build-on what you can control and manage what you can’t control.

Peak performers ‘control the controllables’. Imagine you are an athlete who aims to compete in the 100 metres final in the Olympics. You can control: your preparation; your training; your attitude - whether you have positive or negative ‘self-talk; your diet; your concentration during competitions, etc. You cannot control: the other athletes; the weather; the crowd; whether or not you get injured - though you can do everything possible to stay healthy. Bearing this in mind, you will capitalise on what you can control. You will also find ways to manage the other challenges. Rehearsing every possible scenario, for example, you will develop strategies for doing your best in those situations. Try completing the following sentence.

The things I can do build-on what I can control - and manage what I can’t control - are:

*

“Man is not free from his conditions, but he is free to take a stand towards his conditions,” wrote Viktor Frankl, in his epic Man’s Search For Meaning. People who improve the world focus on what they can do to shape a positive future.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home