The Strengths Way

Saturday 14 July 2007

3 tips for clarifying your picture of success


People are different and have different pictures of success. Imagine that you are looking back on your life when you are 80. What are the 3 things you will have done that for you will mean your life has been successful? What steps can you take towards doing some of those things in the next month?

People often mention three themes when tackling this exercise. They want to build positive relationships, to make a positive difference in the world and to enjoy positive experiences. Let’s explore these themes

* Positive relationships.

“Looking back, I want to have done everything possible to give our children a great start in life,” said one man. “I also want to have been a good husband and a good friend. My wife and I are blessed by having three children - each special in their own way. Our eldest daughter is quite academic and will probably become a scientist. Our second daughter is fascinated by horses - so we have helped her to learn from two fine horse trainers. Our son is dyslexic but, at 13, has already started building his first business. Looking back, I want to feel we have equipped our children to live fulfilling lives.”

* Positive difference.

Individuals say: “I want to make a difference in the world.” When questioned, they say this should be a positive difference - but may still be grappling with what this may mean. Frequently this leads to a discussion about their vocation - their calling - and their legacy. For example, they may want to create a different kind of company, pass-on the knowledge or help other people to fulfil their potential. If you are interested in this topic, you can find more tools in The Strengths Toolbox piece called 3 tips for following your vocation.

* Positive experiences.

“I love life,” said one woman. “My philosophy is summed up in the Jenny Joseph poem that begins: ‘When I am an old woman I shall wear purple; With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.’ Looking back on my life, I do not want to have any regrets. I want to have visited every continent and to have used all my talents.”

Viktor Frankl’s book Man’s Search For Meaning remains one of the most influential of the past 50 years. In it he describes his harrowing journey through the Nazi concentration camps. Whether people survived or not depended on many factors. But he found that many survivors had something to live for beyond the immediate terror. They had a book to write, a relationship to rebuild or a dream to pursue. People who saw a purpose to their lives had an increased will to live.

Everybody needs to see meaning in their life. So what are your long-term aims? Clarifying these goals can provide you with guiding compass. Faced by a tough decision, you can ask yourself: “Looking at the possible routes, which will contribute towards achieving my overall life-goals?” You can then make the decision that fits with your long-term picture of success.
You can find more tools on this theme at:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home