The Strengths Way

Monday 27 August 2007

3 tips for appreciating your assets


Sometimes it can be useful to count our blessings. Recently I held a mentoring session with Dave, a manager who was normally positive - but on that occasion he felt depressed in his job. Feeling the world was dark, he had fallen into a negative spiral. Fifteen minutes into the session Dave decided to change tack and count his blessings. Within half-an-hour he had turned himself around. He aimed to tackle the challenges at work - but also appreciate his ‘true wealth’ every day. Let’s explore the following aspects of appreciating your assets.
* You can appreciate your personal assets.

“Recently it has been tough at work,” said Dave, “but I must keep things in perspective. I have good health, a fantastic wife, two lovely children, loyal friends, a home, a garden and some money in the bank. Resilience is one of my assets. During the past thirty years I have overcome many setbacks---and that strength will carry me forward in the future.”

Alexander Calder, the sculptor, said: “I had the good fortune to be born happy.” That is a great start in life. Try tackling the exercise called My assets. Start by describing all your personal assets. For example, your health, family, friends, finances, attitude, ability to overcome adversity, personal drive and whatever. Try completing the following sentence.

My personal assets are:

*


* You can appreciate your professional assets.

What are you professional assets? For example, your past achievements, talents, creativity, work ethic, personal network, satisfied customers, experience, knowledge, wisdom and whatever. Over the years you will have built-up a vast repertoire of strengths, strategies and skills for achieving success. Try completing the following sentence.

My professional assets are:

*


* You can make good use of your assets.

“Certainly I must tackle the issue at work, but that is solvable,” said Dave, “even if it may mean moving to a new job. It comes back to the old adage about how you react after a setback - you can decide to succeed or sulk. Maybe I can have the occasional 10 minute sulk, but then it is time to get on with the job. Today has been a bit of a reality check. Everything is relative, of course, but I have a lot going for me.”

Try tackling the final part of the exercise. How can you appreciate your assets? How can you be a good encourager? How can make full use of your strengths? How can you help other people to succeed? Describe how you can build on your assets and help to build a better world. Try completing the following sentence.

The specific things I can do to make good use of my assets are:

*

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home