The Strengths Way

Saturday 25 August 2007

3 tips for balancing great work and grunt work


How can you balance your great work and grunt work? People do not mind doing tough jobs - even boring tasks - providing they can see the point. But they don’t like doing grunt work that doesn’t make sense. The frequently told ‘cathedral story’ still holds true. Ask one labourer what he is doing and he answers: “I am mixing cement.” Ask another labourer doing exactly the same job and he says: “I am building a cathedral.” Guess who is happier. Let’s explore three steps towards doing fine work.
* You can choose to do a specific piece of great work.

Sometimes this part is relatively easy - you may have lots of projects and dreams. Sometimes it is more difficult - you may have to find or create a space in the jungle. One manager took the second route - and finally ended-up doing the job he was hired to perform. He explained:

“Two years ago I took several steps that rejuvenated my career. Looking at my diary for the next six months, I couldn’t see where I would get my creative kicks. Supposedly I had been hired to lead a pioneering team - but my days were spent managing, rather than leading.

“Then I got savvy. I decided: a) To deliver the goals I had been set in my day job; b) To, on top of this, do something special that benefited the business. Looking ahead, I decided to manage my day job, but also do a great piece of work with customers. Six months later we presented the improved customer satisfaction scores at the company conference.

“‘This is exactly what we hired you to do,’ said my bosses. Meeting them 2 weeks later, I outlined three specific projects we could do to benefit the bottom-line, but it meant re-focusing our resources. Seeing the sense in the argument, they gave the go-ahead. Now we concentrate on doing a few pioneering projects.”

Try tackling the exercise on this theme called Great Work & Grunt Work. Start by describing a specific piece of great work you would like to complete—then move onto the next stage.

Great work. The specific piece of great work I would like to complete is:

*

* You can do the necessary grunt work.

Now comes the interesting part. Peak performers dream, do and deliver - which means following certain daily disciplines. Imagine you are an athlete aiming to compete in the Olympic final. Starting from this destination and working backwards, you will make a clear project plan - mapping-out what must be done each year, each month and each day. You will get started by launching into following a daily rhythm. The same is true for any project. There may be grunt work involved - but it makes sense on the road to achieving the great work. Encouraging yourself on the journey, you will keep working hard to ensure you reach the final stage.

Grunt work. The steps I can take to plan and do the necessary grunt work are:

*

* You can finally produce the piece of great work.

Sometimes you will make a super-human effort to finish - sometimes you will simply flow, focus and finish. Good finishers keep their eyes on the goal but, paradoxically, also pay as much attention to the process as the prize. Staying concentrated in the moment, they may find the fruit drops into their hands. Aiming to perform outstanding work, you will also frequently add that ‘touch of class’. How can you do this in your way? How can you become a ‘class act’? Great design is simple, beautiful and effective. You may well follow similar rules and when producing something worthwhile - something that benefits people. The grunt work will then make sense on the road to producing great work. Try completing the final part of the exercise.

Great work. The steps I can then take to produce the piece of great work are:

*

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home