The Strengths Way

Wednesday 18 July 2007

3 tips for clarifying your perfect role


We are all self-employed now. There are no jobs anymore - there are only projects. So how can you find or create your perfect niche - and get paid a salary? One approach is to start by clarifying the characteristics of the project, people and place you find stimulating. You can then explore how to get an employer to pay you for delivering these results. After all, people will only hire you if you help them to be successful. Let’s consider these steps towards finding your perfect role.

* Project.

Describe the characteristics of the kind of ‘project’ you find stimulating. The ‘stimulation factor’ must be at least 8/10. For example, you may enjoy doing ‘turnarounds’, launching prototypes, leading superb teams, fixing impossible problems, selling new ideas, pioneering new approaches or whatever. Many clues can be found by looking back at what for you have been the most satisfying projects in your life. These often reveal patterns. One person said:

“Looking back on my satisfying ‘projects’, I can identify several patterns. For example, I love doing work that contributes to improving the quality of people’s lives. At university I organised the first ever sponsored ‘Fun Run’, raising £10k for charity. Early in my IT career I launched software that enabled students to take charge of their own learning. The projects I enjoy normally have a deadline. This forces me to get my act together and make sure that I deliver on time.”

What do you find fulfilling? Try completing the following sentence.

The characteristics of the kind of ‘project’ I find stimulating is one where:

*

* People.

Describe the characteristics of the people - both customers and colleagues - that you find stimulating. The person mentioned above said:

“If I am working for a company, I must have a boss I respect. It’s best if we agree on the ‘What’ - the goals to achieve - but I have lots of freedom regarding the ‘How’. When leading a team, I must have positive team members who are prepared to work hard. The customers I like are those who are at the forefront of their field. They may be demanding, but they can also make quick decisions.”

What people do you work best with? Try completing the following sentence.

The kind of people I find stimulating are:

*

* Place.

Describe the characteristics of the place - culture and environment - you find stimulating. The person said: “I like working in the ‘newer’ industries, such as IT and communications. They are professional, informal and are making the rules for the future.” So where do you enjoy working? Try completing the following sentence.

The kind of ‘place’ - culture & environment - I find stimulating is one which is:

*

Move onto making your action plan. Bearing in mind the answers you have given, describe three things: a) The perfect project: b) The specific results you could deliver to a potential sponsor by delivering this project: c) The steps you can take to find or create such a project. Once you have found it, deliver great work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home